Take a look at some of our academic research, articles and blogs about the various aspects of environmental engineering, its effects on the environment—and much more!
Author: Thomas (Tom) Karston Ph.D, Lead Financial Analyst at Vikek How Should Landfill Tipping Fees for Today’s Customers Help Cover Costs Over Many Decades Into the Future? While modern landfill management involves many critical engineering and environmental...
Optimizing Geomembrane Design and Operation Using the Action Leakage Rate Author: Gary Arndt, Vikek Environmental Engineers, LLC Geomembrane-lined lagoons present unique challenges during their design and construction as well as over the many years they are in...
Assessment Tools for Cost-Effectively Improving Landfill Gas Collection and Control System Effectiveness
Landfill Gas collection and control systems (GCCSs) are integral parts of all modern landfill environmental management facilities. In many large landfills, landfill gas (LFG) is processed for beneficial use to heat homes and produce electricity, and not merely flared....
The Closed Landfill Value Realization Challenge: Despite over 30 years of effort, we have not adequately solved the closed landfill (CLF) value realization challenges. Since the late 1980s, over 5,000 solid waste landfills have closed and most of these are now subject to perpetual post-closure care, according to data published by the Solid Waste Association of North America (SWANA) and Statista.com.
Pacific Northwest businesses, cities and municipalities strive to be leaders in solid waste management. Solid waste management facility owners and operators must invest a lot of resources to contend with the enormous task of collecting, recycling, transporting and...
Many organizations face environmental, engineering, and management challenges beyond what they can handle. Solid waste management enterprises are facing increasing financial burden; waste recycling facilities are over-burdened to the point of shut down, which leads to...
- Okereke, V.O., et al (1996). Providing cost-effective Solid Waste Services to an Island Community, In. Proceedings of the Solid Waste Association of America, Northwest Regional Symposium, and Vancouver BC.
- Okereke, V.O. (2002). Simulation of Landfill Leachate and Gas: Application to Leachate Recirculation and Landfill Gas – to – Energy Projects. IN. Waste Management and the Environment, Cadiz, Spain. WIT Press.
- Okereke, V.O. (2003). A Landfill gas, Leachate, and Leachate Recirculation Model: Assessing the Economic Feasibility of Landfill gas – to- Energy Projects, J. for Municipal Solid professionals, July/August 2003.
- Okereke, V.O. (2003). Analysis of Organizational Structure of the Engineering Services Section, King County Solid Waste Division, a White Paper Report.
- Okereke, V.O. (2004). Solid Waste Management in Nigeria: Challenges and Opportunities. IN. Proceedings of the 19th Annual Northwest Regional Symposium of the Solid Waste Association of America. Everett, Washington.
- Okereke, V.O. et al (2004). Design Challenges and Approaches for the Horizontal and Vertical Expansion of the Cedar Hills Regional Landfill. IN. Proceedings of the Solid Waste Association of America Landfill Annual Symposium. Monterey, California, USA
- Okereke, V.O. (2006). Analysis of Carbon Sequestration in the Cedar Hills Regional Landfill. IN. Proceedings of the 21st Annual Pacific Northwest Regional & Canadian Symposium of the Solid Waste Association of America. Richmond, B.C., Canada
- Okereke, V.O., Talich, C., McEwen, M. (2006). Recovering Airspace from Municipal Solid Waste Landfills: The Cedar Hills Regional Landfill Example. IN. Proceedings of the 21st Annual Pacific Northwest Regional & Canadian Symposium of the Solid Waste Association of America. Richmond, B.C., Canada.
- Okereke, V.O. (2008). Greenhouse Gas Emission Offsets: Energy Recovery and Carbon Sequestration at the Cedar Hills Regional Landfill. IN. Proceedings of the 2008 American Public Works Association (APWA) Conference, Washington State.
- Okereke, V.O. (2016). Business Management Process Design: Business Process Reengineering, Solid Waste Division. Internal Consultant Report.
- Okereke, V.O. (2016). Guidance Paper: Capital Asset Performance Measurement Framework for King County Solid Waste Division, Internal Consultant Report.
- Okereke, V.O. (2017). A Strategic Approach for Managing Public Sector Solid Waste Utilities. Proceedings 2017 SWANA Northwest Symposium, April 2017
- Okereke, V.O. (2021). Landfill End-Use Decision Making Framework-Application of Continual Management Processes for Closed Landfill Value Optimization, SWANA Evergreen Chapter Virtual Technical Session, Solid Waste Finance and Decision Management, January 2021